Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Cosplayers and More at TOYCON 2012

Toycon 2012 is the first ever convention about Anime, Games and Toys that I have attended. There were so many people there and a lot of cosplayers. The event, which was held in Megamall from June 15 to 17, started at 10AM and ended at 9PM. I went there with my friends and we saw a lot of toys for sale.

photo borrowed from toyconph.com
I approached the Playstation Booth and there were a lot of discounted PS3 items on sale. As a Playstation fan myself, I saw a lot of my favorite games there. They were also showing the trailers of upcoming games with some of the footages coming from E3 including the trailer for the Last of Us, and the upcoming Assassins Creed 3. There was also a booth about the upcoming Batman film called The Dark Knight Rises and they also showcased products and toys about the movie.


I was very happy to see that they are still producing new Gundam Models. When I was a kid, the Gundam Models were some of my favorite toys and I also watched the Anime show; the new one from 2011. I also saw a lot of The Zoids series toys which I also played with as a child.


Comics enthusiasts would be happy to know that there were also a lot of Manga available for sale at discounted prices. There were a lot of them and I didn't have much time to browse them all. But I saw a lot of my favorites there like the Vampire Hunter D which is not actually a Manga, but a Japanese novel. Then there was Death Note which I actually like although the ending is so messed up. I likewise saw one of my top favorite manga of all time -- Ghost in the Shell. For me, its concept and art design is what makes this the best manga.


Moving on to Cosplay, there were a lot of cosplayers there. So many, that they had to categorize them under Anime, Games, and Super Heroes. I recognized a lot of the cosplayers from the games category  because, as a hardcore gamer, I've played a lot of games. I saw some characters from the Final Fantasy and Metal Gear series. But my favorite was the Dragonborn from the Elder Scrolls 5 Skyrim, one of the greatest games of 2011.


Up next was the Anime category and I recognized a lot of them too. The characters from the Death Note series appeared on the runway along with Alucard and the police girl from Hellsing OVA. It's a shame though that that not all of my favorite anime characters were there but still I had a great time. All of their costumes were wonderful and very detailed.


Well that's just about it. Before closing time, I asked some of the cosplayers for a picture and they seemed to be very energetic when it comes to dealing with fans. I'm sure they were already pretty tired for posing and showcasing, but still they remained cheerful when accommodating photo requests. Now that's great attitude.


I hope I can attend the next Toycon and I'm hoping that the Video game section makes a bigger comeback. Until next time!


No comments: