Sunday, October 23, 2011

Sponge Cola Launches New Album "Araw Oras Tagpuan"

Sponge Cola is a Filipino rock band that has a lot of great songs. Last October 20, I attended a Blogger's Night featuring the band and their newest album Araw Oras Tagpuan. I found Yael, the lead singer, very energetic and quite funny too. He and the rest of the band members (Gosh, Ted, and Armo) performed four acoustic songs including the famous “Tambay” which I frequently hear when hanging out with my friends.


I was very glad that they performed their old song “Jeepney”. I grew up listening to this when I was still an elementary student and I consider it one of the best OPM songs I’ve ever heard in my life. Sponge Cola hasn’t changed their style much and I say that in a positive way. They have maintained their energetic and free personality that made them famous in the first place.


The band’s newest album, Araw Oras Tagpuan, has 12 tracks plus one hidden track called “Easy as Pie” which I found amusing. The track called “Kay Tagal Kitang Hinintay” became a fast favorite of mine because it has deep meaning as well as great and beautiful lyrics that inspired me to become a songwriter. Who knows, it might inspire you, too!


The album has a tremendous impact especially when you listen to all the tracks. I’ve heard them all and found that the song “Warning”, which has jazz and blues elements, made me much more interested in listening to the rest of the songs. In my opinion, jazz is the music which has the highest standards but a lot of young people nowadays tend to just listen to what is new.


So I really hope that my friends, who depend so much on foreign rock bands, would learn to appreciate and discover that OPM rock is just as cool as the American rock culture. Aside from Sponge Cola, some of my other favorite OPM bands are Hale, Kamikaze, and Callalily.


Overall, I really enjoyed the experience of meeting the members of Sponge Cola and hearing them sing live. They are all awesome and very talented. It was a great night. More albums to come Sponge Cola!

Sponge Cola’s Blogger’s Night was presented by Universal Records in cooperation with Pinoy Magazine, BANDS Magazine and official online partner Orange Magazine TV with special thanks to Coca-Cola Philippines.

*Thank you Universal Records and Orange Magazine TV for the invite!


3 comments:

orangemagazine.ph said...

nice blog post! thanks!

diegO toleran said...

this band is very surprising, their new looks helps them a lot. actually i have their first album and they look more appealing to the new wave of band fanatics!i hope they can visit my hometown iligan for a rockin gig.. thanks!

Alice Knight said...

this band is very remarkable, their new looks helps them a good deal. actually i have their very first album and also they look more appealing to the new wave of band fanatics!i hope they may be able see my hometown iligan for a rockin gig.. thanks!
Melbourne wedding entertainment